Friday, August 29, 2008

"Fred likes these"

My grandfather had Parkinson's. He was always quiet; I remember sitting on his lap to be tickled, and laughing with him, but I don't remember him without the tremors or the illness. Parkinson's robbed him of his strength and his voice several years before he died in 1970.

So I was pleased to find him in my grandmother's recipe book - a little note in parentheses at the end of this recipe says (Fred likes these).

My Favorite Cookies
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
3-1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. cream tartar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup nuts, raisins or cocoanut


Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Add sifted flour, cream tartar & salt. Add rest of ingredients. Shape in long rolls - 2 inches in diameter. Place in ice box overnight. Slice in 1/4 inch slices and bake at 350 over for 12 to 15 min.


I'll have to try these. Maybe I'll like them too.

No comments: