Wednesday, August 20, 2008

For Christine

My brother finally told me about my niece's blog (we share a fascination with chickens, though she has beaten me to the henhouse). Now, what to do with all those persimmons? I present this recipe just for you, kid! (No, I'm not going to climb that ladder either)

This comes from Elsie's recipe book and has been published at least twice in local cookbooks. The "W" family lived at the edge of town; their house was surrounded by trees at the back of a long, dark lane. The kids were bright and lively - redhaired, freckled and pale; in my child's imagination I thought their paleness arose from lack of exposure to the sun in their shaded world. I'd always thought this recipe came from their mother, but their grandmother gave it to my grandmother.

Persimmon Pudding
1 qt. ripe persimmons
1-1/2 pts. gran. sugar.
1 qt. flour
1 tsp. soda.
1 tsp. salt.
3 beaten eggs.
butter, size of egg
2 qts. sweet milk.


Mix seived (sic) persimmons, sugar, eggs, butter. Then add flour, soda & salt with sweet milk. Bake in deep round kettle for 3 hours in a moderate oven, stirring every half hour.


The 2 published versions give this additional hint:

(circa 1972): Serve cold with whipped cream. This makes a large pudding, but it will keep a long time in a cool place or you can can it while hot.
(1995): Serve cold with whipped cream. This makes a large pudding, but it will keep a long time in a cool place, or you can eat it while hot.

Of the two printed copies, I'm inclined to "trust" the added instruction in the older version - first, because that version was attributed by name to the elder Mrs. W, the original source of the recipe; and second, because one hardly needs to be told that it could be eaten warm or cold. Canned pudding doesn't sound appetizing to me, but it certainly exists commercially now. What better way to preserve that glut of persimmons than to can the results?

If nothing else, Christine, you know how to measure the butter for this! (Or do we have to know what type of chicken is involved here?)

2 comments:

Christine said...

LOL, yes, my banty eggs are half the size of my big girl eggs. This recipe could be a problem as I don't have any that are laying "Grade A Large" yet. Got my first brown egg last night and it's shaped like a torpedo. Very strange.

Thank you for the recipe, I'll try it for sure once the persimmons are ready. Assuming I can shake them from the tree. LOL

rcclive said...

I vote for the biggest eggs you can find - I remember having this once, and it was very rich and eggy. Put the girls on notice!